Saturday, August 2, 2008

The 2 day ordeal (coming down to the roadhead)

We had a written exam and navigation exercise on the last day. The exam was pretty straightforward and I could wrap it up in half an hour. I skipped the navigation exercise on medical advice on my damaged knee. However, soon, it was time to prepare to go down to Tela Camp on the next day. I was apprehensive but was given a porter and one hour head start along with other members of the advance party. My leg was pretty bad and I could put weight on it only with a straight leg, without turning it sideways. Flashes of unbearable pain resulted from any twisting or bending of the knee.

I gamely plodded on with my instructor, who accompanied me all through. Bishal Thapa was also with me for almost half the way before he was asked to go ahead. Finally, I could manage to reach Tela camp limping non stop, in 5 hours and 45 minutes, about half an hour behind the guys who started one hour after we did, from base camp.

The second day was easier and I could reach the road head in three hours, before the main group, with half an hour head start. Soon we were moving back to the institute in the buses waiting for us at Bukki bridge.

No comments: